Lieutenant Colonel Martin T. Bergan
A 1948 graduate of Parkrose High in Portland, Martin “Marty” Bergan headed off to Linfield College to pursue a physical education degree but found himself in the Air Force instead. Rather than be drafted, he signed up for the Aviation Cadet Program and was accepted in 1951, earning a commission and his wings a year later. Bergen was sent to Korea to fly close air support in F-84s with the 49th FBG, amassing over 100 combat missions and receiving a DFC and Air Medal with four Oak Leaf Clusters. In 1955, Bergan joined the Oregon Air National Guard to fly F-86 Sabres while completing his education at Linfield College. He went on to teach at Franklin High School until 1965 when he was offered a full-time position with the Guard, where he flew the F-89 Scorpion, the F-94 Starfire, and the F-102 Delta Dagger. Promoted to Lt. Colonel in 1968, Bergan participated in the Air Force “William Tell” Weapons competition with the 123rd FS in 1970 and went on to direct aircrew training during the transition to the F-101 Voodoo. Then in 1976, as squadron commander, he went back to “William Tell,” leading the unit to a first-place finish. He was promoted to Deputy Commander of the 142nd FIG in 1978 and led the conversion to the F-4C Phantom II, bringing the unit to readiness ahead of schedule. Later, with the re-opening of Kingsley Field in Klamath Falls in 1981, Bergan was selected as Alert Detachment Commander. Bergan retired in 1985, having flown over 7000 hours. He continued to serve his community, volunteering as the Linfield College Women’s Golf Team coach and as a docent with the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum. Martin T. Bergen and his wife Margie still live in McMinnville, Oregon.